STAYING ON COURSE Links
Job loss affects all areas of one’s life, and the rest of the family, too. Below is a list of resources to help those who have been affected by the loss of a job.
- AARP the Magazine
- AARP Health, money, family, community
- AARP: Work Search
- Ageless in America supports the maturing workforce by serving as a forum for sharing information, discussing issues and advancing new ideas.
- Ageless Seniors Seeking Employment & Training Services (ASSETS) information regarding employment and resource websites, AARP’s Best Employers Lists, Job Tips for the 50+ Worker and upcoming events designed for the Ageless Worker.
- Equal Employment opportunity Commission Discrimination
- Execunet ExecuNet is where top executives can make connections and gain the insights to help them find career and business success in any market. And executive recruiters can connect to talent for their confidential searches.
- Gray Hair Management
- National Caucus and Center on Black Aged (NCBA) is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving the dignity and enhancing the lives of low income elderly African Americans. NCBA addresses the needs of its constituency in the areas of health, affordable housing and employment.
- National Council on Aging
- National Rehabilitation Information Center
Providing disability and rehabilitation-oriented information through online publications, searchable databases, and timely reference and referral data.
- NC Care LinkServices for older adults
- Plus 50Ageless learning: career workshop, re-careering and financial…and more
- Resources for Seniors Resources for Seniors serves senior and disabled adults in Wake County, NC, by providing home- and community-based services and information so that they can maximize their choices for independence, comfort, safety, security and well-being. We provide information and support for decision-making, and also direct services such as home care, adult day care, senior centers, home repair, and more. We are committed to excellence in service and care for individuals and their families.
- Retirement – US Dept. of Labor Taking The Mystery Out Of Retirement Planning
- Retirement Jobs Age-friendly employers, career workshops and job search
- Senior Community Service Employment Program
- Social Security Administration
- Senior Community Service Employment Program Counselors awailable to assist 55 and older look for a job.
- Wiser Worker Career development resources and more.
- Workforce 50 Job search and resources.
Assistance: child care, food, housing, medical, utilities, etc.
- Child Care Services Association offers services to families looking for child care, and programs to improve child care quality
- JobStart Resources to support your employment and life plans. Community resource list for each county.
- North Raleigh Ministries The NRM Crisis Center and NRM Food Pantry provide assistance to eligible people who live in the following Raleigh zip codes: 27609, 27612, 27613, 27614, 27615 and 27616.
- The Benefit Bank of North Carolina Food and nutrition, FAFSA, Work First Family Assistance, Federal and State Tax Filing, Voter Registration, Medicaid, Medicare Rx Prescriptio Assistance
- Urban Ministries emergency and transitional housing, medical care, prescription medications, financial assistance, food assistance and other support services
- Wake County Dept. of Health and Human Services
- Wake County Human Services Resource Guide, 2010 A complete guide to resources in Wake County; food, emergency assistance, housing, employment, etc …
- Wake County Housing Resources Guide A complete guide to housing and basic needs resources
- Wheels for Hope help with transportation
- Women’s Center of Wake County The Women’s Center of Wake County, Inc. is a multi-services resource center that addresses the challenging issues of poverty and homelessness for single women and women with families.
Counseling: career, credit/financial, life
- American Association of Christian Counseling
- American Consumer Credit Counseling a non-profit organization that provides confidential credit management education and debt counseling to consumers nationwide.
- Consolidate Credit Cards Get a customized debt management plan at Credit Card Consolidation Online for the debt relief you deserve.
- Crown Financial Ministries credit and financial
- Fight NC Foreclosure credit and financial
- Making Home Affordable
- National Board of Certified Counselors
- N.C. Commissioner of Banks Tips and information about foreclosure
- N.C. forclosure help
- National Foundation for Credit Counselors
- Triangle Family Services family and financial
- U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development counselors to help avoid foreclosure
- Ability Jobs ABILITYJobs is the Leading Website dedicated to employment of people with disabilities. ABILITYJobs is the largest resume bank with tens of thousands of job seekers with disabilities, from entry level candidates to PhD’s – if your company is looking for talent you’ve come to the right place.
- AgrAbility Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disability Act
- Alliance of Disability Advocates, Center for Independent Living (Alliance), is committed to assisting people with disabilities to live independently and become productive full participants in society. As a small nonprofit, Alliance utilizes extensive networking and collaboration in order to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
- Community Partnerships Inc. Community Partnerships, Inc. (CPI) is a private, nonprofit agency dedicated to creating opportunities for people of all ages with disabilities or social and economic disadvantages to pursue their dreams and engage fully in community life.
- Disability.gov contains disability-related resources on programs, services, laws and regulations to help people with disabilities lead full, independent lives
- Disability and Business Technical Assistance Center (DBTAC) a national network of 10 regional DBTAC: ADA Centers that provide the most complete and experienced services for up-to-date information, referrals, resources, and training on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to businesses, employers, government entities, and individuals with disabilities, as well as media and news reporters.
- Disability Rights NC Disability Rights North Carolina is a private non profit organization. Designated by the Governor in 2007 to ensure the rights of all state citizens with disabilities through individual advocacy and system change, DRNC is part of a national system of federally mandated independent disability agencies.
- Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Economic and employment assistance
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Discrimination
- Getting Hired Networking and jobsearch site
- Job Accomodations
O*NET OnLine allows you to search and explore a wide variety of occupations. If your search identifies occupations that require skills or abilities that may be difficult to use because of a health problem or disability, please consider job accommodations. Accommodations may involve a change in the work environment, the way a specific job is performed, or the use of special equipment. Other resources also available.
- Job Accomodation Network Workplace productivity enhancements and reasonable accommodation solutions
- Job Seeking Skills for People with Disabilities; A Guide to Success This handbook for college students provides information about setting career goals and looking for work, including special considerations for job seekers with disabilities.
- National Business & Disabliity Council The NBDC is the leading resource for employers seeking to integrate people with disabilities into the workplace and companies seeking to reach them in the consumer marketplace.
- National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability NCWD/youth NCWD/Youth is your source for information about employment and youth with disabilities. Our partners — experts in disability, education, employment, and workforce development — strive to ensure you will be provided with the highest quality, most relevant information available.
- National Resource Directory An online partnership for wounded, Ill and injured service members, veterans, theri families and those who support them.
- NC Care Link People with disabilities connection
- Social Security Administration Disability and Supplemental Security Income
- Supported Employment Network (SENET) a statewide non-profit network dedicated to increasing job opportunities for people with disabilities
- Supportive Employment employment help for those with developmental disabilities
- Ticket to Work Program an employment program for people with disabilities who are interested in going to work.
- U.S. Department of Education: Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services The Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) oversees grant programs that help individuals with physical or mental disabilities to obtain employment and live more independently through the provision of such supports as counseling, medical and psychological services, job training and other individualized services.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Office of Disability and Employment Policy provides national leadership on disability employment policy by developing and influencing the use of evidence-based disability employment policies and practices, building collaborative partnerships, and delivering authoritative and credible data on employment of people with disabilities
- U.S.A. Jobs
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affair’s Veterans Benefits Administration’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service is vested with delivering timely, effective vocational rehabilitation services to veterans with service-connected disabilities
- VocRehab Inc. Career Information Service company with extensive experience in vocational rehabilitation, assessment, and evaluation
- Community Success Initiative Re-entry support for ex-offenders
- National Institute of Corrections We provide training, technical assistance, information services, and policy/program development assistance to federal, state, and local corrections agencies.
- iseek Employment Resources for Ex-Offenders
- Keys to Success This website will provide information needed for successful re-entry after release from prison or local incarceration by assisting in the making of a successful transition into the community.
- Out 4 Life help for ex-prisoners in finding employment
- Veterans Career Transition Management System innovation and comprehensive system available for successful design, development and management of the military veteran’s job search program.
Employment Programs / Unemployment Insurance
- Dislocated Worker’s Tool Kit For those who have been laid off, unemployed.
- Department of Employment Security File for Unemployment online or find information pertaining to unemployment.
- Hire Level Ministry Hire Level Ministry provides job training, job skills and life skills education and training programs. We help individuals secure stable jobs while giving them the necessary tools for obtaining a successful career.
- InStepp Inc. InStepp, Inc. is a a dedicated, community-based non-profit company that is passionate about helping our regional communities thrive by empowering at-risk adult women and adolescent girls to succeed personally and professionally through innovative, gender-responsive training, education and prevention services.
- JobLink Career Centers Resume help, career fairs, job clubs and networking
- Jobs Now a resource for anyone looking for a job, a new career, or to expand or create a business in North Carolina. With state agencies, local governments, business leaders and citizens working together we will create new jobs, put people back to work, and train our workers for success – laying the foundation for a strong and sustainable economic future.
- Jubilee Jobs We specialize in job placement and career advancement for Metro area residents who have struggled to find employment and a community of support. With help from a host of friends, donors, volunteers and employers-we will continue to provide work for sustenance, dignity and hope
- Project Ricochet Project Ricochet, Inc of North Carolina is a community-based approach to finding practical solutions that assist minority youth who are prone to anti-social and gang affiliated behaviors while discovering positive and productive life-style alternatives.
- Step Up Ministry job skills and life skills program
- Workforce Agencies WIA, Resources, Legislative news and State practices
- Workforce Investment Act (WIA) North Carolina residents can find WIA information – resources for training to unemployed.
Medical, Health Care Insurance and Prescriptions
- Alliance Medical Ministry Nonprofit organization that provides medical care.
- Center for Medicare Advocacy, Inc. Nonprofit organization that provides legal advice, self-help materials and representation for elders and the disabled.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Information about Medicare, Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
- COBRA – Dept. of Labor
- Health Connect
Health insurance plans, financial and insurance assistance
- Inclusive Health North Carolina Health Insurance Risk Pool – state-subsidized health insurance coverage for individuals with pre-existing medical conditions who either are unable to qualify for or cannot find more affordable individual health insurance coverage.
- Insure.com Life, health and dental insurance
- N.C. Div. of Medical Assistance
- Medicare U.S. government site for people with Medicare
- Needy Meds Free and low cost prescriptions and clinics
- The Medicine Program Prescription and health benefits
- Medicare Rights Center
- National Aging Administration Center
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners Current state health insurance regulations and policy
- National Health Law Program overview of Medicaid; fact sheet on prescription drug programs; links to state Medicaid sites
- National Organization of Social Security Claimant’s Representatives (NOSSCR) Attorneys specializing in Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America Lists company programs that provide drugs to physicians whose patients cannot afford them
- Shepherds Care Medical Clinic Serving the uninsured
- Social Security Administration Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income
- TRICARE Explanation of health benefits available to dependents of veterans
- United Health Care Student accident and health insurance available to school-aged kids.
- Urban Ministries medical care and prescription medications
- Wake Health Services Wake County free or reduced medical and dental services
- Veterans Benefits Health benefits for veterans
- Wake County Medical Society Project Access is a physician referral program. If you need health care and are uninsured, unemployed or a low wage earner you may qualify. Patients cannot apply directly to the Project Access office for services, you must be screened by one of the clinics listed.
- Wake Health Services, Inc. A private, not-for-profit, comprehensive community health center serving Wake County and surrounding communities. Provides medical and dental care. Working to improve health and well-being through primary and preventive health care services, including those unable to pay, Wake Health Services is a reliable, accessible community resource.